Thursday, April 19, 2012

Hello!

     Hey there! My name is Donna and I have Gallstones. I started having attacks late July 2011 when I was pregnant with my son. At first I had no idea that I had Gallstones. My attacks were random and happened only once a week, if that. Usually they'd strike when I was on the way home after a meal out with my husband, and would end up making me throw up. I was sure it was just morning sickness from my pregnancy, but I didn't think that morning sickness was accompanied by chest pain. 
    One night in August awoke around 12pm with the chest pain and difficulty breathing. My husband called my midwife and she said to go to the hospital. I was hesitant because I'd been experiencing these attacks and figured it would be over within 30 minutes, so I tried to tuff it out. After 3 hours it hadn't gone away. So to the ER I went. 
   After hours of tests and lab work and ultrasounds, they ended up sending me home, saying that it was just bad indigestion, and told me to get on an antacid. Weeks later when I spoke with my midwife she gave me a script for what was basically a strong dose of Prevacid. It did work for a while, and I had no more attacks until the end of my pregnancy. Around 35 weeks (end of December) I started having attacks again. My midwife again prescribed me Prevacid, and this was the strongest it came. My attacks disappeared until mid January, and they came back again. 
     My general doctor gave me a script for an ultrasound in February, when they discovered that I didn't have indigestion at all, I had Gallstones. They never said how big, only that my Gallbladder was full of them. This was news to me! When they called me to inform me of what they found, they told me that surgery was basically my only option. I had the consultation with the surgeon about a month ago, and he lied straight to my face about how there is no medication that can take care of the Gallstones, and that if there was I'd have to be on it for the rest of my life. The second that I said I would like to consider a medication, the surgeon got mad and said he'd let my doctor know and goodbye. 
     That only made my decision easier, I don't want a surgery by someone who is more willing to lie to my face than to tell me up front my options and kindly give his opinion on why he thinks that I may benefit from the surgery. This man was rude, and only out for money.
     
    After speaking to my general doctor, she wrote me a prescription for Ursodiol tablets and I was to pick them up in an hour at our local Walmart. Well, the tablets for a month supply ended up costing over $250.00... So I had to go without again for a few more weeks. 
    After a lot of research, I managed to find one place that delivers medication to you and it's way cheaper than most local pharmacies (unless you have great insurance!), and it's HealthWarehouse.Com. Thanks to this online pharmacy (Accredited by the BBB ;] ) I will be receiving my prescription in a week or two, and for only $35 ( rounded up I think ).




     Now, even though I'm going on a dissolving medication, I still need to maintain a low fat diet to lessen the chances of attacks, which is the point of this blog. If you think you have Gallstones, have Gallstones and are getting on medication, are having surgery and are looking for low fat recipes, or just looking for a low fat diet, I'll be posting any recipes I know or have tried that I found that will be low fat. 
     Also, I've been researching products to use in place of things like Peanut Butter, Salad Dressings, Cheese... and any that I find I will make a post on where you can find that product! 
  
  I hope you enjoy this blog & please leave any comments if you have anything to contribute as far as low fat foods and yummy recipes! 

No comments:

Post a Comment